Thursday, August 15, 2013

Damé algo.

Something I've been warned of during training is the "give me money" feel I will find all over this country.

It's already started. The women at the little bank in trying to work with have already asked me to write a grant or a loan for them to "get money from Peace Corps" to finish their bank. That's not how this works and that's not how I want this to work.

I have them a Peace Corps lie. I told them I couldn't write grants right away and that first we should work to earn the money ourselves. This is somewhat true. If I wanted to write a grant at this point I can, but I don't think I want to write a grant at all.

I don't even know why I would for this group right now. I can't exactly tell what their issues are, but every meeting is full of anger. The women are gossiping about each other and also finding stupid reasons to fight. They fight about rules and regulations, but they don't even have written rules and regulations. Also, the president keeps trying to throw me under the bus for something I don't even understand... I'm not trying to be a person to drop issues on this early. "The Volunteer even agreed with me!"

Wait, when did I understand enough Spanish to agree with you about what the rules of your association should be.

Either way, I'm going to take a stab at a Peace Corps initiative with these ladies called "Somos Mujeres!" And if it works out they will have to take their time moving toward working together. Hopefully, I don't become a matter of conflict in my community before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment