Friday, October 25, 2013

Changes in the kitchen

As you may or may not have seen, based on how my email decides to upload the text and pictures, I have made a few minor changes in my kitchen and living style.

For one, I now buy fruit out of the back of a truck. I used to miss the truck, because I didn't know what to look for and my neighbors buy vegetables and sell them to me later, so it wasn't a problem. Now, I've decided I don't want to live on this island and not take advantage of the fact that an entire pineapple is less than one dollar. I was hesitant at first because my neighbors say nobody here buys fruit. This is true. Many people have "orange" trees in their yards and coconuts available to them at times. We can grab mangos when they are in season, and occasionally... Really occasionally, papaya. Well, neighbors, that's cool and all, but I've decided to be uncool, when the vegetable truck drives down the road with melon, water melon, pineapple, and other random fruit, I am going to be the weird Gualetion and buy some... I'll spend my living stipend, on living with fruit in my house.

The other new addition is that I am braving a new-old cooking style. When I first moved out on my own I used to buy random vegetables and add a base and some season to try and come up with food I liked. Usually I was lacking in the flavor department. I still haven't found a way to mix flavors well. Here in the campo I've been sticking to what the doñas cook... Rice and sugar. I don't have to be a doctor to tell you that living on carbs and sugar would not be the best path for my two years here, so I've decided to pick back up my old style. I made orca and peppers with onion and a rice base. I used a red season that I thought would have a flavor. Spoiler alert, it didn't. Either way, I had okra and peppers for lunch instead of rice and sugar, so my life is looking up.

Fast forward to rewinding to yesterday and we have my new trash can. You may remember from my house reveal I've decided to use two liter bottles to make everything in my house. My silver ware holder, my toilet paper holder, and now my kitchen trash can. I was getting flys and wasn't happy about it, so I stared at a bottle for an hour until the design came to me.

Basically, just like my cutlery container I made one even cut right where the bottle starts to dip in to create the funnel. I popped in a little plastic bag and popped the top back on over everything. The size allows for a pretty air tight seal. I usually have to pop in one of the edges with my thumb to break the seal when I go to use it. I haven't had any flys hanging around my trash, and when I open the lid I've yet to find any gnat type buggies, so Amanda is pleased. This is something I need to suggest to my friend Lobo. Since he reads my blog I just did, so I'm off the hook with that one. Really though, it beats keeping a fridge full if trash to keep the bugs out and works better than traditional cans in my opinion, because of the seal.

I still can't cook. Lord help my future family. The good news though is that I CAN follow a recipe, so when I get back into a world with constant Internet and access to cook books I will be back to cooking tasty food. It'll just have to be someone else's recipe, I can't do it on my own very often.

(With the exception of black bean, pepper, cream cheese, spinach and tortilla wraps... Those were bomb and I came up with that one all on my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment