Tuesday, April 29, 2014

After you're done with the Peace Corps, could you ever see yourself going "back on the grid" with a normal, 9-to-5 desk job?

I don't think I have ever had a normal 9-5 desk job. The closest would be the hospital job I had before Peace Corps. I worked 12 hour shifts delivering food to patients. I got that job after I decided to apply for Peace Corps and knew it would be temporary so I didn't mind the rough hours. I was just getting myself to fly out day.

I made a promise to myself when I was 14 that I would always love my job or get out of it within 6 months. Keeping this promise to myself is one of the reasons I have been able to enjoy a lot of the work I have done.

I use a lot of the free time I have in Peace Corps looking for unexpected jobs I could love after Peace Corps. I want to use the skills I have to do something I am going to LOVE. Being as I don't think I would enjoy a desk job, I probably won't ever go to a desk job unless I need the money and can find a way to love it. The one real money concern I have is that I won't get my student loans paid off. I plan on hitting my student loans hard as soon as I am done with Peace Corps and I need to have a job that will afford me to get rid of them as fast as possible. I am hoping to be out of debt three years after I finish Peace Corps. If I am able to accomplish that, I want to do Peace Corps a second time*.

This is a statement I am making 1/2 way through my initial Peace Corps service. Please don't hold my wants later to my wants now. I don't know if this will still be true. Remember, life happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment