Sunday, July 14, 2013

Trash



I spent the better part of two months not knowing what to do with the trash at my house. Now, how did I go that long in the dark? Well this is the story:

When I first arrived I didn't know the method and I thought I would watch other people to figure it out. I figured there was some kind of burning method I would come to know.

I put a plastic bag in my room and whenever I had trash I threw it in there. Well after a month it was full and I still didn't know what to do with the trash, so I just dumped my entire bag into the little can in the bathroom. I thought, surely I'll know soon... Nope. I put it all in the bathroom again, this time with a fuller bag.

Now I know what you are thinking, "Amanda, why didn't you just ask?" Well, lovely reader, after you've been somewhere for two months it feels strange to ask something as basic as, "now, where in the heck do I put all this garbage?".

One of my lovely Peace Corps friends, (Lobo), suggested I walk along the road and slowly dump the bag out. I won't lie and say I didn't consider it, but that too felt strange.

Finally I had a moment. I had used a bunch of cotton swabs to clean my nail polish bottle that exploded on the plane ride over here and the little girl in my house was sitting with me. I asked her where I should put the dirty swabs. She told me to throw them. Now, I think I would have noticed it my yard was FULL of trash after years of people living here and just "throwing" garbage. So I asked for a confirmation. She said that yea, I was meant to throw it. She stood and waved me over. We waled behind my house and a little down the hill. This is what I saw:


No comments:

Post a Comment